Tuesday, October 3, 2017

My reason for preventing stroke? My family of course. Everything else can be replaced.

Ifigenia Tsolakidou is a stroke survivor and member of HAS - the Greek Stroke Association. Here she describes how life has changed since stroke and the steps she takes to reduce her risk and that of her family.

Before the stroke did you have any idea that you were at risk of stroke?
No, Ι had never thought of having a stroke, because I was young, I had no familiar history and of course I was not informed about stroke.

When and how did you realise that you were having a stroke?
I realized it when I was at the hospital, after having two ischemic strokes. The findings of the MRI confirmed the diagnosis. The symptoms that worried me were: debility of my right side and immobility that led to paralyze all my right side. I had no idea what was happening.

Can you tell us a bit about your life before stroke?
I had a totally different life. I used to be more spontaneous, tireless and cheerful.

How has life changed since the stroke?
Many things changed in my daily life. I cannot drive, run, and even dance. I have to schedule my everyday activities, because I need rest periods daytime.

What steps do you take now to prevent stroke? 
I comply with my medication, I have regular health examinations to reduce risk factors and I try to reduce anxiety in my daily life.

What would you say to other people to make them take stroke prevention seriously?
When I had a stroke I felt I lost the ground under my feet and realized that we should take nothing for granted. We can lose everything in a flash, so we must prioritize our wills and needs.

What is your main reason for raising awareness of stroke prevention?
My family of course. Everything else can be replaced.

I


Featured Post

Epidemiologic profiling for stroke in Nepal: Endeavour towards establishing database

Resha Shrestha  @avi_neuro. , MS 1 , Avinash Chandra, MD 1 , Samir Acharya, MS 1 , Pranaya Shrestha, MS 1 , Pravesh Rajbhandari, MS 1 , Re...